GREAT BARROW INFORMAL PARISH COUNCIL MEETING Tuesday 18th December 2018 at 7.30pm. At Barrow Village Hall.
|Cllr M Moulstone – Chairperson
Cllr J Owen
Cllr F Rackham
Cllr S Weaver
Cllr J Hassells
Members of the public: 5
Cllr E Johnson
Cllr P Johnson
Cllr S James
The Chairman asked the council to approve in principle the temporary clerk appointment until the end of April as the current clerk would be finishing on 31st December 2018.
It was unanimously agreed that this should be brought for resolution at the next meeting.
The Chairman opened the meeting by explaining that this was an unofficial Parish Council meeting for the sole purpose of updating the council on the work that has been carried out with regards to the Shop Committee.
It was noted that the Shop Committee is independent of the Parish Council.
UPDATE ON SHOP
A member of the CBS Shop Committee provided a brief history of the considerable work that had carried out since September 2016. Undertaking feasibility studies, holding Open Meetings with the community, preparing business plans, speaking to the Post Office and fund raising.
The Shop Committee then reported upon the current position as follows:-
– Planning Application has been submitted and it was hoped that approval would be granted in January 2019.
Within this planning application, a Tree Survey has been carried out, together with Highways giving clearance that the location is acceptable with them, and now a bio-diversity survey needs to be carried out at a cost of £850. The Shop Committee was requesting approval for the Parish Council to fund this expense and it was agreed that this should be brought to the next Parish Council for consideration.
– Leader Grant/Application this was applied for initially when they were exploring the option of having a shop on the Village Hall site, the application has since been transferred over to the Pavilion site, costing having been sought for the project, Phase 1 application has been submitted and approved, Phase 2 application has been submitted and should get approval in February and this is when the Leader Grant will supply the Parish Council with an offer letter confirming what they are prepared to offer were the Parish Council to accept the Grant Funding. Once this was received it was agreed that a presentation to the Parish Council with full costings be provided for the Parish Council to resolve if they would be prepared to go ahead with the project.
– Royal Mail was in negotiations and a business plan had been submitted for the Royal Mail’s approval, interviews were in January and should the Shop be successful in this rigorous process then the Post Office would be looking to invest around £25k into equipment.
Action – Copy of Business Plan was requested to be provided to PC
Funding had been pledged as follows:-
– Garfield Weston £5,000 – available to claim
– Smith Ryland £500 – received by PC
There is also £21,000 in share options been pledged but this has been ring-fenced for stock and cash flow in year 1 of the project.
Additionally, a bridging loan had been voluntary pledged should the project need it for up to £26,000.
Action – Proof of all of these pledges was sought.
The Chairman reported that whilst the Clerk in the November meeting had raised concerns regarding being able to claim VAT back and the status of the Parish Council remaining a “Small Local Authority”, he has had a meeting with CHALC who has provided contacts for a company to manage the VAT and confirmed that the Parish Council would not have to change its status due to this project.
– Impact on Clerk workload – it was felt that should the workload of the Clerk be increased whilst the project was being undertaken that this cost should be funded by the project and not by the Parish Council.
– Ownership of Playing Field and Pavilion – it was reported that the Shop Committee was in receipt of the Deeds for the Playing Field and confirmed the ownership as the Parish Council.
The councillors present were satisfied with the information provided and confirmed that they would consider project fully in February subject to:-
– all information being provided to Parish Councils, including business plans and copies of monies, pledged,
– Leader Grant Application offer being received,
– Planning Permission being approved
|7.||DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING
Thursday 10th January 2018 at 7.30pm – Venue to be confirmed.