BARROW PARISH COUNCIL
Minutes of the Meeting of the Parish Council held on Tuesday 8 November 2016 in Barrow Village Hall.
Present: Councillors Malcolm Moulstone (in the Chair), Andy Faulkner John Hassells, Sally James, Julie Owen, Fiona Rackham and Sue Weaver
In attendance: Mrs Pauline English (Parish Clerk), Mr Patrick Haycock and Mr Nigel Eckersley, Barrowmore and 22 members of the public at the start of the meeting
16.142 ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN
In the absence of both the Chairman and Vice-Chairman, Councillor Malcolm Moulstone was elected to the chair for the meeting.
16.143 APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Eleanor Johnson and Pippa Johnson.
16.144 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
Councillor Owen declared an interest in Agenda item.
16.145 OPEN FORUM
The Chairman welcomed Mr Patrick Haycock and Mr Nigel Eckersley, CEO and Director of Barrowmore, respectively, to the meeting. Mr Eckersley outlined the proposed development at Barrowmore. He explained that the costs of maintaining the charity were increasing and funding was decreasing year on year. The only way for the charity to survive was to realise some of the site’s assets by releasing some land for development and housing was the favoured option. The land identified was a brownfield site and the development would be limited to around 15 properties. Barrowmore wanted to work with the Parish Council and residents to ensure that whatever was proposed was acceptable to and met the needs of the local community. It was proposed to sell the site to a single developer, although no-one had yet been identified. The income generated from the sale of the site would enable other facilities to be upgraded and opened up for public use in the same way as the Bluebell Café. It would allow currently dilapidated buildings to be brought back into lettable use which would in turn, generate additional income. Residents asked several questions to which answers given. Concern was expressed about the increase in the amount of traffic using Lampits Lane/Heath Lane. Vehicular access to the site was a major issue and it was suggested that a new access be considered. Barrowmore would provide details of any proposed development in the form of a local exhibition which would be open and accessible to all residents. The Chairman thanked Mr Haycock and Mr Eckersley for attending and they and several residents left the meeting (16 residents remaining)
A group of residents had formed an Allotments Association and a draft constitution had been circulated for comment. It was intended that the Parish Council would remain responsible for the financial management of the site but that the day to day management including the collection of plot rentals would pass to the Association. A Committee of five had been identified with all five members taking on specific roles including liaison with the Parish Council. There was no waiting list for allotments at present and there were three half plots vacant which would be advertised. The current plot licence needed redrafting and a schedule of works was being compiled. Access to the Parish Council’s website would be needed. Some years ago, it had been the practice to provide a skip once a year and it was requested that this practice be reinstated with a skip being ordered in January 2017. Recommendations for establishing the Association would be made to the Parish Council. The Chairman thanked the residents for attending and they left the meeting.
In the Open Forum the following issues were raised:
- Grass cutting – the sweepers don’t come around soon enough after the grass has been cut.
- Fire hydrants – the question was asked who inspects them and how often. The hydrant on Heath Lane had been badly damaged.
- In answer to a query it was confirmed that the extension of the Jubilee footpath up to Stamford Bridge was unlikely to go ahead due to cost.
- The cover was hanging off a light on Heath Lane. It was agreed by Councillors Rackham and Weaver that they would walk around the village and check the lighting and report any faults to Cheshire West and Chester Council (CWaC).
- There had been some investment in improving the road from Heath Lane to Tarvin apart from the edges, and it was suggested that the road would start to deteriorate unless this work was done.
The remainder of the residents left the meeting – three remaining for the duration of the meeting.
16.146 MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING.
The Minutes of the meeting of the Parish Council held on 11 October 2016 were confirmed as a correct record.
16.147 UPDATE ON ISSUES RAISED AT PREVIOUS MEETINGS
(1) Telephone kiosks: It was reported that there was no telephone kiosk at Stamford Bridge and that the Parish Council must have been given the wrong information. The Clerk would check this with Sarah Dobbins, CWaC Locality Team. The Club Secretary had been consulted about the kiosk outside the Clubhouse on Irons Lane and she would refer it to the Committee, but it was likely that they would want to keep this one despite its apparent lack of use.
|16/04469/FUL – Erection of a triple timber garage within the grounds for storage at The Dairy House, Hollowmoor Heath, Barrow, Chester, Cheshire CH3 7LF. Consultation on this application closed on 28 October 2016. Councillor Moulstone had visited the site and advised that no comments were required.|
|16/04593/FUL – Single storey extension to front/side and two storey extension to side/rear at Greycot, Barrow Lane, Stamford Bridge, Chester, Cheshire, CH3 8EN. Consultation on this application closed on 4 November 2016. Councillor Moulstone had visited the site and advised that no comments were required|
|16/04576/PDQ – Conversion of agricultural building to one dwelling at Heath Farm, Hollowmoor Heath, Great Barrow, Chester, CH3 7LF – the Parish Council expressed concern that, if approved, this application might set a precedent for the construction of steel framed agricultural buildings, for which no planning permission is required, which could then seek planning permission for conversion to dwellings. The Clerk was asked to speak to the CWaC Planning Officer allocated to this application to get advice on this matter.|
|16/03154/FUL – Single storey rear extension at 13 Irons Lane, Barrow, Chester, Cheshire CH3 7LD – APPROVED|
|16/03542/FUL – The construction of a glazed entrance porch at Heath Villa, Irons Lane, Barrow, Chester, Cheshire, CH3 7LF – APPROVED|
(3) Awaiting Decision:
|16/04006/FUL – Two storey rear extension and erection of car port at 18 Lampits Lane, Barrow, Chester, Cheshire CH3 7JJ|
|16/00365/WAS – Demolition of existing storage barn and erection of an agricultural anaerobic digester and associated ancillary development at Old Hall Farm, Heath Lane, Barrow, Chester, Cheshire CH3 7LL|
16.150 REPORTS FROM COMMITTEES AND SUB GROUPS
(1) Barrow Parish Playing Field Committee: The hedge around the perimeter of the field had been cut and the last mow had been completed. It was noted that the AGM would be held in December.
(2) Footpaths Committee: Nothing to report.
(3) Police issues: The Parish Council had a new PCSO who would hopefully be able to attend the next meeting
(4) Website: Councillor Owen had met Paul Grattan to discuss the Parish Council’s requirements for a new website. The old website was now accessible and documents were being uploaded, although it was still not possible to upload pictures. The current hosting company would only deal with the person who had set up the hosting agreement so the Clerk was asked to contact Peter Dobbs to ask if he would give permission for the hosting company to deal with Councillors Faulkner, Hassells and Owen and the Clerk. If this could not be agreed, then the current website would have to be taken down and a new site built.
(5) Barrowmore Liaison: See Minute 16.145 above. There had been a very good turnout for the annual bonfire and fireworks and arrangements, especially for car parking, had run smoothly thanks to the well-organised team of volunteers. The fireworks had cost £750 and the Clerk would ensure that Mike Taylor was reimbursed for the cost of them. It was resolved that £100 be donated to Barrowmore towards their Christmas festivities.
(6) Allotments: A further £10 had been collected. The Clerk now had the list of allotment holders and would write to any whose payment was outstanding.
(7) Neighbourhood Development Plan: No further meetings had been held.
16.151 STANDING CONSIDERATION OF HIGHWAY MATTERS
(1) Long Looms: The edges of the grassed areas needed cutting back as it was becoming difficult to walk on the remaining pavement.
(2) Grit Bin in Ferma Lane: It had been reported to the Clerk that the grit bin on the corner of Ferma Lane and Top Lane was being used for the disposal of dog waste and was full. She had contacted Streetscene who had removed the bin (which was never used for grit).
16.152 WINTER MAINTENANCE WORK BY CWaC
CWaC had asked the Parish Council to identify any issues they would like to see addressed during the winter months. The following issues had been suggested:
- Manor Park – sweep
- Heath Lane –
- CCTV to be provided on Manley Lane – Councillor Weaver to confirm the exact location
16.153 WEED CUTTING AND SPRAYING IN 2017
Ed Glenn (CWaC Streetscene) had confirmed that the first spray would be in March and the second spray in August. CWaC would weed as they go with an initial clearing of the weeds at the end of March/early April. Weather permitting the grass would be cut at the end of February/beginning of March with a cut every 2-3 weeks during the season.
16.154 PLANTERS IN VILLAGE
The planter had now been delivered to Little Barrow and was in place outside the Foxcote. It was agreed that Mrs Janet Tomlinson would look after the planters in the village (Trevor Roberts would look after the one opposite his house when time permitted). The Parish Council would meet the costs of plants and compost on production of a receipt.
A litter pick was to be undertaken in January led by Mrs Janet Tomlinson. The Parish Council/CWaC would provide hi viz jackets and litter pickers
16.156 NOTICE BOARDS
The new Notice Boards were now completed and ready to be put into position.
With the closure of the Village shop, the defibrillator would need to be moved to the Village Hall. This would be raised at the next meeting of the Village Hall Committee.
The following payments were approved:
|BACS||Parish Clerk – expenses November||54.20|
|S/O||Parish Clerk – salary November||341.20|
|BACS||HMRC – Income Tax||259.01|
|BACS||Alan’s Skip Hire-Public Skips||444.00|
|BACS||Village Hall – Room Hire||97.50|
|BACS||Mike Taylor – Fireworks||750.00|
|BACS||Kingsley Joinery – Notice Boards||1,736.00|
|Barclays Bank – Interest on savings account||21.84|
|Unity Trust Current Account (as at 8 November 2016)||12,992.06|
|Barclays Deposit Account (as at 1 November 2016)||25,236.50|
16.159 ITEMS FOR INFORMATION OR NEXT AGENDA5
No issues raised.
16.160 DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING
Tuesday 13 December 2016 at 7.30pm following Carols around the tree